Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Me Before You Movie Review

Me Before You Movie Review
4.2 Stars out of 5
I really like this movie. I didn't love it, but I thought that it was really well done and that they did a really good job with what they had. I say this because in the movie, it seemed like the relationship and time frame moved really fast, when in reality, it was a process and development that took months. I feel like this is something that is better portrayed in general in books than in movies. Books takes hours if not days or weeks to read. It feels like a more natural progression of what is happening in the story. In movies though, there's only about two hours to tell the full story. That being said, Me Before You did a pretty good job with the movie adaptation of the book. Obviously, being an adaptation, things were cut out of the movie that were in the book, but that is almost a given when it comes to adaptations. There were only one or two parts cut out though that I was sincerely missing, so overall, not a terrible job of cutting out stuff. :)
The acting I thought was great. I adored the cast and thought they did a really good job working together on stage to make the story believable and realistic. Sam Claflin and Emilia Clarke became Will and Lou, which was a relief to see. I was worried that with knowing almost all of those actors and actresses from other places that I wouldn't be able to connect properly to the story, but that wasn't the case at all. They became their characters and made the movie. Also, the setting was absolutely gorgeous! I want to live (or at least visit) the castle that they filmed at. The small English town they chose was adorable, and the beach scenes made me want to make a deal with the devil to go there. ;)

Overall, I would recommend going to see this movie, but don't go into it expecting it to be totally accurate or like the book. Granted, I still cried at the end of the movie, just like I did at the end of the book, but it was a different feel than the book gave me. Be open going into it, and watch it as the movie, or as a movie. Otherwise, I am not sure how pleased you will be with it, because like all book to film adaptations, things had to be cut out. If you haven't read the book and are still thinking about going to see it, go for it. It was really well done and it a beautiful mix of humor, hope, and sadness.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment