Monday, August 29, 2016

Dragonfly in Amber Book Review WITH SPOILERS



Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Review WITH SPOILERS
5 out of 5 Stars
1068825

This book destroyed me. It chewed up my time, has put me WAY behind on my reading challenge, and I couldn't read anything else while I was reading it. And I loved every minute that I was reading it. I would not change it for the world. Just like Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber is completely amazing. The plot, setting, characters, writing, themes, and twists were all perfect, or near perfection. It took forever. My copy is over 900 pages long. But it was SOOO good. If you haven't started the series yet, I don't know why you're reading this review; go look at Outlander and read it- you won't regret it. If you have read the first book and are considering the second, PICK IT UP PICK IT UP PICK IT UP!!!! This is one of those books that destroys your life in the best way possible. It's completely an emotional rollercoaster, but you will gladly get on to ride. :)

SPOILERS AHEAD
So many things... so I'm probably going to work backwards.

THE ENDING!!! Holy **** we think that Jamie goes off to die because he sent Claire away and even when the story is taking place in the twentieth century Roger doesn't say anything about Jamie and then in the beginning Claire had seen the grave and NOTHING IS DENIED and then suddenly within the last two pages Roger comes up to Claire and is like "btw Jamie may be alive" because there is one vague reference in some book or something and JAMIE MIGHT BE ALIVE!!!!! WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!? CLAIRE GO BACK!!! GO BACK NOW GO BACK NOW GO BACK NOW!!!!!!! THIS IS NOT OK BECAUSE SHE JUST SPENT ALL THOSE YEARS WITH FRANK WHEN SHE COULD HAVE GONE BACK WITH JAMIE AND BEEN HAPPY IN THE HIGHLANDS OR WHEREVER JAMIE WAS BECAUSE THEY ARE SO IN LOVE AND ARE ABSOLUTELY PERFECT FOR EACH OTHER BUT INSTEAD SHE THOUGHT HE WAS DEAD!!!!!!!!! NOT. OK.

Alright- so hopefully this paragraph will be less spazzy. One of the things that I really loved about this book was that we got to go to France!! It was so cool to be hanging out with all of the French royalty and nobility, and then to see Diana Gabaldon tie in the actual history. Obviously, to keep the story going, she couldn't really rewrite history. She must have had to do so much research to make sure she got all the details correct and find a way to tie in two fictional characters. Props to her.... everyone should give her a round of applause at the end of each book. On principle, because Diana Gabaldon deserves it.

The only minor thing that I was not a huge fan of at first was starting out the book without Jamie. We start with Claire, Brianna, and Roger, and for the longest time I couldn't get past that because all I could think was, "But where's Jamie?" Now though, looking back on the book in it's entirety, that was really a smart way to present the story. It ties in really well at the end with how Brianna needed to react to all of this information that was being thrown at her. And then put in Geillis Duncan why not. So while I did not particularly enjoy being back in the 1900's at first, I can now appreciate why it was there and why we needed to start the story there.
 
To be completely honest, I'm slightly terrified to start reading the third book Voyager. My copy of that is over 1000 pages!!! I don't know how I'm going to navigate that, because I really do not want to fail my reading challenge. And I don't want to lower my goal of 100 books either. So, I guess I'll wait until 2017.....? That's such a painful thought though. Who knows. I'll figure it out later. :)

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment