Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Book Thief Movie Review!



The Book Thief Movie Review 
4 Stars
For anyone who doesn't know, this movie is based on the book The Book Thief by Markus Zusak- a phenomenal book that really got me interested in historical fiction and all things World War II related. That being said, this is a WWII story about a girl who is adopted by a middle-aged/older couple in the early years before war broke out. It follows her story and her growth and realizations of the world around her. I strongly recommend the book as it explores many human morals and it opens eyes to how easily people, especially young people, are influenced by media and the environment that they are in.  
I think the movie did a really good job portraying the book. I love how the movie still started out with Death as a narrator. That was one of my biggest concerns, because there are so many profound quotes from that "character".  His lines are some of the ones that have stuck with me over the years. "I'm always finding humans at their best and their worst. I see their ugly and their beauty and I wonder how the same thing can be both..." -Death, The Book Thief Those quotes and his character made me really appreciative of the movie and the lessons that we learn from him. I thought the casting was mostly good too, although I felt like Liesel and Rudy appeared too far apart in age. I haven't read it in a while, but I am pretty sure that they were the same age. Mr. and Mrs. Hubermann were great though. And Max! I loved Max and I have always loved him, but the acting was really good too. I wish there was more of a WOW factor though. It's World War II Germany, but I feel like they could have added in more of the severity and direness of situation the characters were in. I did cry at the end, and as this insofar does not have any spoilers, I won't add any now. But I think that speaks to the emotional capabilities of the movie, because in that regard, it was a really well written ending I feel. 
I do not have a book review up for this on my Goodreads account, but I will have another copy of the book soon and will re-read and review then.
I would recommend this movie, but not necessarily to everyone.

Thanks for Reading!  :)
(IDK why part of it is highlighted.... I can't seem to fix it :( so it's stuck like that)

No comments:

Post a Comment