Monday, July 6, 2020

Seberg Movie Review

Seberg - WikipediaSeberg
Movie Review


Honestly, I was only half paying attention to this while I watched it because I was cleaning at the same time. Because of that, I don't feel comfortable giving it any sort of starred ranking because I don't think it would be genuine.

Seberg is a historical, thrilling biopic (lots of things, I know...) about Jean Seberg, an actress in the middle of the 20th century who was an activist for racial equality. The movie picks up at the start of her involvement with the Black Panther Party and follows her throughout the next several years and the government monitors her and attempts to end her involvement with the Black Panther Party. She is aware on some level that she is being watched, but it is a slow unravel where she starts to question every phone call, crew member on sets, and interactions with friends.

Of the top of my head, what I was able to notice while I was half-paying attention was this:
1. The resolution felt soft and unsatisfying.
2. Kristen Stewart was amazing in this.
3. This topic was fascinating, but I wanted more.

1. Overall, I just didn't really like how the movie ended. There's no really clear understanding of what is going to happen to the other characters and even with Seberg herself, we only get that classic background music and text overlay describing the end of her life. What I'm really wondering is, if that was the resolution, what was the climatic moment in the movie?

2. I feel like Kristen Stewart gets better and better with every movie that I see her in. There were times that I would look up to the screen and just see Seberg. It would be a self-shock to remember that I was watching Stewart play Seberg. Also, there is such a slow unravelling of Seberg's character that I though Stewart did really really well.

3. The whole premise and context of this film is absolutely fascinating. More importantly, it is important for conversation about race in America. However, I don't think the film dived deep enough into these themes. They had a great opportunity, but I don't think they took advantage of it fully. Again though, I wasn't paying close attention while I was watching it, so I could be off about this.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment