Friday, July 17, 2020

Mid-Year Book Freak-Out Tag

Mid-Year Book Freak-Out Tag

Happy July! We are just a smidgen past the halfway point of the year and so everyone is taking a second to look back at what they've read so far and what they want to read by the end of the year. My friend Deja recently uploaded this tag on her YouTube channel Literary Princess and I am so excited to do it myself. (Pssst-- really quick. Go subscribe to her channel! She's literally fantastic and her Instagram is full of beautiful cosplay!)

I haven't really had a chance to read a lot lately. I've picked up a few books here and there over the past month, but overall, I've just been swamped with school and work. Even right now, I'm writing this during a study break. A study break I probably shouldn't even be taking right now, but whatever. It'll be fine. All this to say, I have no clue what my reading has looked like for the year so far, so this could be really interesting, or really repetitive. Here we go!

(Also, this may be semi-obnoxious, but if I have a review to a book, I'll link it in the text in case anyone's curious.)

1. Best Book You've Read in 2020
44778083Ohhhhh.... can I pick two? Please? Pretty please?
Okay great! Thanks!

From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I am literally obsessed. Like, my SJM books level obsessed. And I have always enjoyed this author, but woooooooowwwww this book got to me. I have a whole review and so I won't go into crazy mode right now, but if you want to see crazy, go check that post out.

Crescent City by Sarah J. Maas
Oh, look, a SJM book. Is anyone surprised? I certainly wasn't. Of course I tried to enter this new series with a blank slate, but even with whatever bias I have about my love for her books, this made it on the list as well. I just love sinking my teeth into her fantasy novels. There is nothing better on this planet.

52655000. sx318 sy475 2. Best Sequel I've Read in 2020
Undercover Bromance by Lyssa Kay Adams 
As I was going through my books for the year, I realized I literally have read next to no sequels. There were like three, this and series I've read before. This was a good book though! Just because it was almost a default win doesn't mean I didn't love it. I gave this funny contemporary romance four stars on Goodreads. It is incredibly lighthearted and endearing and perfect fluff for the summer!

496294483. New Release I Have Not Read Yet
A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown 
This is one of those books that has been on my radar for ages and it's killing me that I haven't read it yet. "The first in an fantasy duology inspired by West African folklore in which a grieving crown princess and a desperate refugee find themselves on a collision course to murder each other despite their growing attraction." (Goodreads) Like, bruhhhhhh seriously I need a copy of this NOW. Actually! As I'm typing this, I think I'll order a copy to arrive my house the day I finish finals.... oooohhhhh that sounds like the perfect way to celebrate the end of the term.
54319549. sy475

4. Most Anticipated Release for the Rest of the Year
A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire by Jennifer L. Armentrout
This is the upcoming sequel to From Blood and Ash which I mentioned above. I was completely and totally expecting this book not to come out for another year because that's how series normally work, ya know? But this book is coming out in September. The first one came out in March. I have so much excitement for this book, I'm fully prepared to succumb to the book coma I know will follow when I finish it.


49789629The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson
The release date for this one is right around the corner, July 21, but I actually think I'm going to put it off for a couple months...? I haven't fully decided yet. All I know is that I really want to check this one out. It is both fantasy and horror, which is a combo that is really sort of making my mind twist. I'm intrigued. Plus, the premise sound fascinating. It's about Immanuelle diving into a deep exploration of her town and the woods around it, including the histories of the witches in the area and the secrets of her puritanical town. The only reason I want to wait a couple of months to read it is because it sounds so atmospheric, I want to read it when the nights are getting longer and the air is crisper, and everything in general just feels a little spookier.  

51852191. sx318 sy475 5. My Biggest Disappointment of the Year
Rage and Ruin by Jennifer L. Armentrout
THIS WAS STILL A GOOD BOOK. I 100% hate that I had to put this book here because it was still a good book!!! I just didn't love it like I wanted to love it. It is the sequel to Storm and Fury, the spinoff series of the Dark Elements. This series centers around Zayne new character Trinity, so if you were team Zayne back in the other series, then you really should check this series out. The timing of when I read this is probably throwing me off too. I read it after I loved From Blood and Ash, so expectations were really high. It was still a good sophomore book though, and I am looking forward to the last book coming out.
52357797. sx318 sy475
6. My Biggest Surprise of the Year
The June Boys by Court Summers
I don't really read a lot of psychological-thriller-type books, so I was thrown for a little bit of a loop when I read this one. The formatting was weird on my copy as well, but that's beside the point. For me, this book was a surprise because I didn't know how I would attach to the book, and I found that I really liked it! The genre still isn't my main jam, but I enjoyed the story and really liked how it all came to a close.

450433697. Best New Author or Author New to Me
Anna K by Jenny Lee
Jenny Lee is a new author to me! Also, it looks like Anna K was her debut young adult book, so bonus newness. Anna K is a modern retelling of Anna Karenina set in the upper upper upper class lifestyle of New York.  The best thing about this book, well one of the best things, was the tone of the writing. Literally one of the coolest and most conversational tones I've read in a long time.


52831200. sy475 8. My New Fictional Crush
Hawke from From Blood and Ash. Looking at him versus Hunt from Crescent City, I had to go with Hawke. He's the guard that takes over protecting our main character in the story and he is cunning, and loyal, and I love how he is able to coax Poppy into reevaluating her own life without being too pushy or over the top about it. Like, serious A grade personality with A+ potential. He's a little sketch, but just like, a teeny tiny baby amount.

9. My Newest Favorite Character
44778083Lehabah. Lehabah is from Crescent City and I don't care about how much page time she had, or how minor a character she was, she was the best. A best friend. A stellar library boss. Sass galore. Relatable af. All around, part of what elevated the book from good to great. Her story is so tragic too and she didn't deserve it. Definitely my newest favorite character.


10. Book That Has Made Me Cry
Crescent City by Sarah J. Maas
See above.
Also,
Light it up. 


51520901. sx318 sy475 11. Book That Made Me Happy
The Trouble with Hating You by Sajni Patel
I could have listed this one as a favorite debut as well because this is Sajni Patel's debut novel!! The Trouble with Hating You is a contemporary romance about a biochemical engineer and the lawyer who is trying to help save the company she works for. There's also a great friend group however, so while the romance made me happy, the friendships did as well because I think they were done so beautifully.

12. Most Beautiful Book I Have Bought or Received This Year
I have two very different choices for this one. 
45892228Crescent City by Sarah J. Maas
The artwork on the cover was done by Carlos Quevedo and I'm literally obsessed. Not only is the work stunning on it's own, but there were so many details that were put into the cover that tie it back to the book that my mind was blown. This artist has other work as well that is just as amazing. So I absolutely needed to include this book here.
Crave by Tracy Wolff
Completely on the opposite end of the spectrum from Crescent City is Crave. The cover is incredibly simple, but I really like the elegance of that simplicity. It's just a ruffly white flower on a black backdrop with some blood dripping down from the title onto the petals. Super simple, really crisp.

40205643. sx318 13. What Books Do I Need to Read by the End of the Year
Oh my God literally so many, but I'm just going to list three:
Crier's War by Nina Varela
The Last Confessions of Mara Dyer and Noah Shaw by Michelle Hodkin
Crush by Tracy Wolff


14. Shout Out My Favorite Book Community Member
Deja at Literary Princess! She's the friend who's tag I watched and her videos are A+++! I've linked her channel at the start of this, but here is another link just to reinforce that you should go check out her videos and subscribe to her channel and amazing work! :)


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment