Tuesday, January 16, 2018

How to Read When...

Image result for book photographyReading During the School Year


This past week I went back to school. I know that for many people, this is the time that they begin to slow down their reading or stop entirely. I've also seen this become more and more true the older I get and with the more advanced classes that I take. However, it never fails to astonish people when I tell them the number of books that I read per year (around 100). And while I genuinely love to read, it sometime isn't easy to be able to do so with homework, classes, work, etc., etc.

Here's what I suggest: 1) Set aside 30 minutes; and 2) Bring a book everywhere with you.

Related image1) This goes for whatever it is that you love. If it something that brings you joy, you should give yourself the time to enjoy it. The world is not going to end if you relax for a brief moment of time. Set aside your phone, turn off the notifications, and (for those inclined to read) fall between the pages of a book you've been looking forward to.


2) You'd be surprised how much reading you can get done in the couple of minutes here and there throughout the day. Before class starts, waiting to meet a friend, on a bus... you can read in these places. So always have a book with you in some form, because it can be so easy to just pick it up where you left off and make progress in the story. If you don't want to carry around a physical book with you, I highly suggest e-books because you can download either the kindle app or use iBooks, both of which I like.

Related image
I hope if you are going back to school or are already back that this is helpful in some way! There is a very good chance that it is advice that you have seen before, but they're the bits that I have found helpful all the same. Good luck with your new year!


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment