Thursday, August 4, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Review WITH SPOILERS

29056083 Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by John Tiffany, J.K. Rowling, and Jack Thorne
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
 WITH SPOILERS
 
Reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is not like returning back to Hogwarts; however, you do get to return to this beautifully crafted world that JK Rowling had created so many years ago with Sorcerer's Stone, and that is something that can truly be cherished so long as you are open to the story and the ability to accept things that you may not like. There are so many old characters and friends we get to revisit; new characters that we get to explore; and another twist that can send you into a mild tailspin. I would not say it is as great as the others, but it definitely worth the read. Be open to new ideas, keep in mind that this is a play and therefore, there is a time restriction on it. The actual review of this is 4.25 stars. Could they have done better? Possibly. Did they do a really amazing job as it is now? Yes. Do I still want more? Of course.



SPOILERS AHEAD

 One of the things that I really enjoyed about this book is that we get to see more of Slytherin. Right off the bat, Albus gets sorted into Slytherin and we immediately see the effects of that, along with his friendship with Scorpius. Not only was this incredibly interesting to me, but it also meant that we got to see a story through a Slytherin's eyes and more of their house characteristics by actually experiencing a story first hand with them. It was pretty cool.

Another thing that I thought was really interesting was that we got to see more of the time travel magic and how the time-turners worked. There are different kinds of them and are now "gone", or at least were supposed to be because they can be so dangerous. I did think it was super stupid of Albus and Scorpius to use it and go back in time to save Cedric, but at least they had good intentions, unlike some...

Delphini: B****. I wasn't totally blindsided by her- she made me cautious especially because she seemed to come out of no where and was really enthusiastic about the whole thing. I did not guess that she was Voldy's demon-spawn. Kind of expected now that I think about it, considering Bellatrix's infatuation with the creep. But that didn't really make sense to me how she could have been pregnant somewhere along the lines and nobody noticed it. Draco especially. I mean, now that the world isn't completely sideways, wouldn't he have said something to the Ministry if he had known that his aunt had been pregnant? At least to save his son's reputation and make it easier for him at school? I must say though, her hair sounded like it looked really cool.

Speaking of other things fans have been waiting to see... ScoRose!!!!! I love Dramione, and it still kinda sucks that they aren't a thing, but I was THRILLED when I found out that Scorp had a crush on Rose. Throughout the entire story, we see him pining after her and her just not having any of it. And then when the screw up the future the first time and she isn't there, he goes into full freak out mode. It is A D O R A B L E. I mean, it sucks that she isn't there, but his concern for her is the best. And then at the end of the book, he asks her out!! Go Scorpius! She said no, but it will happen... I can feel it. Dramione is like the Titanic, but there is hope for their children.

Scorpius was one of the most adorable characters in general though. He honestly was not at all what I was expecting, and it was a pleasant surprise. I think he'd be really good for Rose and he is such a good friend to Albus. He is the perfect example of how a Slytherin can be a good man and a good wizard. I love this child. He made my heart break. He made my heart smile. And he made my heart laugh. I think he's going to go down as one of my favorites.

There were some major plot holes in this story. 1. The polyjuice potion. Ummmmm..... doesn't that take like a month to brew? 2. The last scene with the time-turner. From what I had gathered, they had to go back to their original time after the five minutes. But, I guess they could just move back further.... 3. Harry's scar hurting. Maybe this is just something that could have been explained better, but I had absolutely no idea how that worked with the information that we have based on the other books.

Snape. I died when we got to see Snape again. And we get to know more of his story and how he originally worked for the Order in Lily's memory but then started to believe in that side's values. When he told Scorpius to tell Albus that he is proud that he carries his name, I started to tear up a bit. And then he died. Again. And I was a goner- so many tears... so many tears.
 

I could go on and on about this book for quite a while, but I'm gonna stop myself now because this post already seems so much more longer than usual. Bottom line, I can see where fans are upset. BUT, I am really just beyond grateful that we got to see more story and more of the world that we have all fallen in love with. And it was good. It was quick, there were flaws, but that happens sometimes when it needs to be cut short. Like book to movie adaptations. That being said, I would not object to another epilogue. I would actually really love to see more of Scorpius and Rose and I would also want to see Albus find somebody as well. Also, more of James and Lily, and TEDDY. Go ahead and let yourself fall in love with another Harry Potter book. Unlike the others, there are more faults with this love, but that doesn't mean that there isn't love.

Thanks for reading fellow muggles! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

No comments:

Post a Comment