Sunday, October 25, 2020

Notice: Blogging Hiatus through 12/15/20

Taking a Break:
Hiatus on Blogging through December 15

Hello,

Firstly, thank you to everyone who stops by my blog. I know that I have followers, but I'm also thanking all those people just pass by or look for specific posts or reviews. Never in a million years could I have imagined being able to share my thoughts about something I am so passionate about and have people share in those thoughts. So truly, thank you.

Secondly, I want to let you all know that I will not be updating my blog through the middle of December. I know I haven't posted here in a long time, so I probably should have done this sooner, and there have been long stretches in the past when I should have made an announcement like this, but I felt the need to let you all know that I'm not done with the blog, I'm just taking a break. Why? The short version is, I'm too stressed and I don't have time. So if that's all you need in the explanation, cool, love you (lowkey as a reader I'd probably be you), there it is. The rest of this is just going to be more in-depth reasoning. 

For one thing, I'm still in school and this semester is b r u t a l. I had another semester sort of like this about three years ago, but even that was different. Three years ago I was so stressed because I was taking the hardest classes for my major on top of working 3-4 jobs/positions. Insanity. This semester, I am working only one job, but I also have a clinic and research positions on top of a full credit load. And I have to factor in a commute time where I'm driving 20-25 minutes one way. Plus, yet again on top of that all, one of the classes is incredibly stressful for me in a way I have never had to deal with before. So there's just a whole bunch of new and usual things I'm learning to deal with in addition to studying and being a good student.

I'm also going to throw in the pandemic, because there are "little" things like needing to go grocery shopping for family that simply take up time. And by no means am I complaining about doing that -- they're my family, I love them and want them safe --  but it's just a fact of reality at this point and I need to acknowledge it. I have different responsibilities and concerns now that affect my behaviour and mental health.

And then there's my basic physical health. I really, really, want to start taking better physical care of myself, so I've been trying to at least go outside if not work out once a day. And I'm okay at doing that. There are still days when I literally go from a 6am wake up to a 9pm finish with only taking breaks to go to the bathroom. Yeah-- that crazy and I'm not exaggerating either. But with that, on the days I do have a "spare" hour or so, I want to make sure I am keeping myself in the best health condition that I can. 

To look at my schedule as a whole, I have worked nearly every day including weekends since the middle of September (I took a Friday off in early October). And I'm still, objectively speaking, behind on my work. It is absolute madness and I felt like I needed to release something just to give me more breathing room. Blogging is, unfortunately, the only real viable option at this point.

"But it's only blogging." I really don't think any of you would say that, but just in case, it's not "only blogging." On average, I spend between an hour and a half to just over two hours writing and editing a book review, and that's after I have read the book and seriously considered it's merits, my potential biases, and the key pieces I want to highlight. And I love doing this! It's why I started posting my reviews online! But the reality is that it takes me awhile to do this. I don't ever want to just post a random review to get it out of the way. Even when I get books for free from publishers, I don't ever just blow through a review because it's an expectation. I make sure I take the time to do it properly. 

Will I still be reading? Yes, for sure. Reading is part of my stress management because I can disengage from the world and give my body a break from the anxiety. That being said, I don't even want to know how behind I am on my reading challenge and I'll probably revert to reading only my absolute favorites for stress-reading. For example, I'm rereading the Lux series right now (Jennifer Armentrout) because it fits the bill perfectly. I've read it a bajillion times before and I'll likely read it a bajillion more times in the future. The only down side to this is that I had so many books I was really looking forward to reading that I now will be pushing back to make sure I can completely enjoy them. 
 
I love blogging and I love reading. Going on hiatus right now is just as much to protect my love for those things as it is to give myself more time and stress-relief. I hope you all understand and I am already looking forward to the middle of December when I'll be posting again. :) 

Best wishes,
All I Need Are Books and Tea

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment