Thursday, April 23, 2020

Celebrity Reads Part 2

The Year of Secret Assignments (Ashbury/Brookfield, #2)Recommendations Based on Celebrities
Part 2

Here's part 2 to my recommended reads based on celebrities! Part 1 linked here.


Naomi Scott
Red, White & Royal BlueThe Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty
Naomi just seems so bubbly and into fun, and this book is hysterical. It's been awhile since I've read it, so the age group for the audience might be on the lower end of YA, but all I remember is literally laughing out loud while I read. It's about three girls at an Australian high school becoming pen pals with three boys in a different high school, and it was written in 2005, so it has that signiture atmosphere of 2000's comedies. 
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)

Stephen Colbert
Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
You got humor. You got politics. Need I say more? I really think I hit this one dead on because it perfectly combines these two things, which Stephen Colbert is a pro at. There's a lot of buzz around this book for a reason: it is irresistible. Rom-com between the son of the U.S. and the prince of England combined with wonderful, hilarious writing, and the whole thing was just all-around amazing.

Margot Robbie
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)Because Margot Robbie has played such a wide variety of roles, this one was a little harder to pick. Ultimately, I was thinking of Birds of Prey and picked something with that group-action vibe. While Six of Crows is not an all-girl group, it is a fantasy that follows a gang as they perform an impossible heist. It's so intense, and the characters are so well-developed, that there is a lot to sink your teeth into and keep you on the edge of your seat.


 
Hasan Minhaj
The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams
EntwinedLol this one may be a stretch. The reasoning behind this choice boils down to two things: (1) humor, and (2) sports. Hasan is one of my favorite comedians ever, so the book needed to be funny (which this one is). But then, Hasan is also really into basketball. This is not a basketball book, BUT, it is a baseball book. Similar enough? Hahaha maybe. . . maybe not at all. Either way, this is still a really enjoyable read about family and sports life. 


Rita Ora
Entwined by Heather Dixon
Wintersong (Wintersong, #1)So in my mind, I think Rita Ora would be a great Disney princess. She just seems so nice and I love her voice, so she'd nail all the songs. Moving on to potential Disney princesses, Entwined is a retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses," and so far as I know, Disney does not have a movie for that yet. It is my favorite fairytale, so I would love some sort of adaptation or story line based on it with Rita Ora in the cast. :)


Michael Buble
Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones
For Michael Buble, there needed to be some incorporation of music in the book. (Just like John Legend, ya know? Like, how could there not be music?) Wintersong is a combined retelling of The Magic Flute and the 1986 film Labyrinth. There's composition, performance, a Goblin King. . . I loved it. It is very rich writing, so not everyone may like it, but I thought it was super creative and the words of the writing sounded lovely.
Kira-Kira

Ana de Armas 
Kira-Kira by Cyntha Kadohata AND/OR
Belleweather by Susana Kearsley
Honestly, I don't have a super strong pulse on what sort of books to assign to Ana de Armas, so I went with ones that were simply touching. I think she has a sincerity about her so I picked books that have sincerity in them as well.
Bellewether_____ Kira-Kira is a middle-grade novel about sisters. It has been a long time since I've read this, and I actually think I'll reread it again soon after thinking about how long it's been. Anywho, I don't remember ~too~ much about this book other than the sister connection is so strong, and the book is so heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time.
_____ Belleweather is a historical romance set in colonial America. Interestingly though, it is a romance between a colonist and a French-Canadian soldier. They don't speak the same language so their connection is so heartwarming as they still find a way to connect to each other during the war.




Rami Malek
Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo AND/OR
Everneath by Brodi Ashton
I absolutely love Rami Malek and I think he seems like such a cool and kind guy, but the only thing sticking in my mind right now is his upcoming role as the Bond villain. So I picked books that have great "antagonists." The really complex ones that you sort of like, and sort of are just fascinated with.
Everneath (Everneath, #1)_____ Shadow and Bone is another Leigh Bardugo book, high fantasy, but this one is about a young girl exploring this rare power she has. The antagonist in the story though, the Darkling, is such such such an interesting character. And he was this close to full redemption. It was great. To put it in perspective, there are people who ship the Darkling with the main character Alina.
_____ Everneath is an urban fantasy, but it has the same sort of super sympathetic antagonist. This antagonist is Cole, and he is literally so similar in his role of the story as the Darkling is in Shadow and Bone where there is a relationship with the main character. Not going to lie, I fully ship Cole with the main character Nikki (I even made a ship post).

Between Shades of Gray 
Ali Wong
Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys
I know Ali Wong is a comedian, and I know Between Shades of Grey is not a funny book. BUT Ali seems to read more about family ties and personal growth in characters. And this is one of my all-time favorite books, partially because I think it touches on those points so delicately, yet strongly. It is set in WWII Lithuania and follows a young girl and she and her family is deported. She gets separated at times and overcomes the horrors that happen to her. *Warning: it is incredibly sad.


Benedict Cumberbatch
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)When I think of Benedict, I think of Sherlock and Dr. Strange- but mostly Sherlock. Either way, this would equate itself to a book that requires a lot of mind work, and I think this book fits the bill perfectly. It has an unreliable narrator, involves some heavy psychological theories, and then throw in some paranormal stuff just to mix it up some more. It really is such a thrill ride and you will constantly be trying to figure out what is going on. 

Thanks for reading and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment