Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Thoughts on Chain of Gold (Excerpt) by Cassandra Clare

17699853Chain of Gold (Excerpt) by Cassandra Clare
Thoughts
*Thank you to NetGalley and everyone else involved in making this excerpt available.*

Another little sneak peek into my thoughts based on a book! This excerpt only contained one chapter from Chain of Gold, the book to start the series I've literally been waiting yearsssss for. Really. I remember this series getting announced like, half a decade ago. Needless to say, I am very excited to return not just to this world, but to these characters.

Tessa.
Gray.
Will.
Herondale.

Two of my favs. I'm excited to see everybody though: Cecily, Charlotte, Gideon, Sophie, etc., etc., and. . . Jem. *swoons* I know that the series follows their children, and I'm looking forward to getting to know them all, but there's something tenderly nostalgic about being able to check in on the characters we said good-bye to in The Infernal Devices.
The lovely Cassandra Jean tarot card for James.

So- the non-spoilery tea. Here it is:
I want more.

Even if there was more to the excerpt than the first chapter, I think I'd still be saying this. We all know Cassandra Clare is a phenomenal writer and her characters are so robust, but I'm genuinely curious about the plot of this trilogy now. There's a very brief moment before the first chapter that I won't describe at all (muahahaha), but I'll just say it is a solid hook. I'm in. I was before for the characters, but now I'm in for the plot as well. There's not much more I can say besides that I want more. There was a hook, some setup, and some introductions, but nothing much more substantive to comment on. This excerpt was like being able to smell a delicious meal- it was great, but now I just want the meal even more.

Last quick side note: for as many characters as there were in TID, there's now also their children. If you are like me and haven't memorized the family tree from Clockwork Princess, I recommend looking up who's who's child and who's cousin to whom. Now, so that you don't get spoiled -- because remember that family tree goes up until The Mortal Instruments -- I will make a separate post just outlining who is related to who through this time period.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment