Friday, January 27, 2017

MADNESS (The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer): A Ship in My Fleet

A Ship in My Fleet
MADNESS (Mara Dyer and Noah Shaw) 
From: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
***Assume spoilers for the entire Mara Dyer series***

I think this may be the coolest ship name that I have ever shipped. Let me explain it to you: take the full initials of each of their names and put them in order and you get....
Mara
Amitra
Dyer
Noah
Eliot
Simon
Shaw
......MADNESS

Image result for mara dyer trilogyWhen I Started Shipping:
Right away. I literally mean right away- I think Noah is like either the second or third main character that we meet in the book and it's fairly early in the book too. Within the first few chapters if I remember. What really sealed the deal on this ship was when Mara and Noah were bantering about the hierarchy of asses. It wasn't just a funny moment in the book, but you can see the easiness that they're bantering with and you can tell right at that moment that they are going to be good together.

Favorite Canon Moment:
Hmmmm.... it's hard for me to say because I have one in mind that's a funny moment, and then another one that's heart wrenching and gives you all the feels. I don't know how to choose between the two of them so I think I'll just share both.

Image result for mara dyer noah shaw
My favortite funny moment between them is when, I believe in the first book, they are in Noah's bedroom and Mara is testing Noah of his knowledge of his own bookshelf. She's just reading off titles without really looking ahead to see what they say, and one of the books puts her in a pretty awkward situation. I love how Noah handles it too. The heart breaking moment that I'm thinking of is right at the end of the series after Mara, Noah, and company are relatively safe in the house. There's just relief and they get to be together and they have each other after everything that they've gone through and have lost.
Image result for mara dyer noah shaw

Mara:
This girl's crazy. I think one of the hardest things about her character is that she has to deal with so much crap, both inside and outside her life. Yes, she is slightly psycho, but there's also legitimate dangers around her, and there is some supernatural, life/death balance stuff. She has to deal with all of this, and try to act normal in her everyday life. She fails at that of course, but she tried for a good long time. She's incredibly determined and resilient in this, and it extend to her relationship in a way that makes her fiercely loyal to Noah.

Noah:
First, I have to let the completely shallow side come through and say that Noah may be one of the best YA guys that I have ever read. He's like Will Herondale, but with more innuendoes. Thinking about it, those two would probably be the best of friends. His sass is one of my favorite things about him, plus he has an accent, which just makes it ten times better. Actually looking at who his character is as a person though is just as great. Noah, while snarky and tending to be apparently less serious, is really devoted to helping other people and putting others before himself.

MADNESS:
These two are the definition of perfect balance. Life and death, crazy and popular, serious and aloof,  I could keep going. Another reason why Mara and Noah are so great for each other is that they are both willing so much to make it work and to pull through together. Mara helps Noah come to terms with his issues and Noah helps Mara come miles along in accepting herself and helping her understand what is happening. That may be the biggest thing about this ship- they both believe each other and support each other through the seemingly impossible.
Image result for mara dyer noah shaw

As much as I hate to say it, I think the ship is about to be rocked! Excitingly, there is going to be another book. But, of course, there is a price. Apparently there may be trouble between the two and my heart may break in the process of reading these books. Here is an article from Entertainment Weekly that announces the next book which is set to come out this summer!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment